Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Crafting

This year I found a wonderful website to help you get organized for Christmas.  If you know me then you will know that I LOVE anything organizational, so I was excited about getting all organized for Christmas.  Anyway, part of getting organized is to make a planner.  I used a binder but I saw the idea for making a planner using a file folder.  My initial thought was, "That looks like it would take WAY too much time!"  

Fast forward about 2 months...  My SIL is getting married in February and I am thinking about her shower gift.  I wanted to give her a few recipes but in a cute way.  So again, I was drawn to the file folder pocket file.  I decided yesterday to try it out.  I was amazed to find it only took a couple of hours.  The first 30 minutes was just trying to get the measurements right for the folding.  Today I made another one and was able to do it in just an hour.  These are very versatile and fun.  I am already imagining the different ways I can create these for people as gifts.  

Here are the directions: 
1. Take a regular file folder and score it so that it will create 4 sections.  From the middle you measure 4 1/8" to the left and score it.  For the right you measure 4 1/4".  

2. Score the folder 3" from the bottom and fold up to create the "pockets".

3. You have now created the basic shape.  Next comes the fun part... adding color!

4. Using decorative paper, cut out the papers to fit the outside of the file.  (Note:  I discovered that the "tabs" can be cut on once and used on the front and back.  This saves you a step and extra cutting.  I just use the same paper for the front and back.)

5. Glue the paper to the outside leaving the "pocket" part unglued for now.  


6. Glue the papers to the front of the pockets.

7. Add coordinating papers to the inside of the files.

8. Fold and your book is almost done!  Here is the finished inside.

Here is the outside.

9. Finish with two eyelet holes on the front and back covers and lace with a ribbon.  I have not yet done this step since I don't have an eyelet punch or ribbon that coordinates with this paper.  Stay tuned for more!

I can't wait to make these as gifts.  This one is for a special friend.  She knows who she is and she knows why this one is for her!!! 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
The Mills family was established on April 20th, 2002 when Bryan C. Mills married Allison Wilson. The family grew in 2005 with the birth of Christopher and then again in 2007 when Cameron first made his appearance. It just grew a little more in 2009 with Zachary's arrival and then again in 2011 when Ethan entered the world with a bang! We hope to continue to grow our family as God allows. We are truly blessed and praise God each day for the joy we bring each other!